Top 5 Hot Hatches Of 2011 That Can Be Yours For Under $30 K
We are rapidly approaching to the end of this year and it’s time to discuss some issues related to the next year. The first one is refers to the hot hatches that we can count next year and I refer to the compact class, the best, anyway. Some models are already available, others have not been released yet, but will be in 2011.
Anyway, in the second half of the next year, we have several (about 5) hot hatches, very tempting, all at over $25,000, but that’s it, the performance is not free, especially that this sport compact models are already much stronger than what we had in the segment until a few years ago.
I mean that, until recently, the hot hatches included a 2.0-liter engine and 200 HP. But now, the standard is higher. The sporty compact displayed, generally, around of 250 HP, but some models promise even more.
But let’s see what we have available next year. The order is random … but it reflects my current tastes:
1. Renault Megane RS 250 – A car which all journalists were told that is extremely successful. I never heard a negative opinion about it, instead, is better than all ever imagined. The French model, besides the fact that it looks great, it comes with a 2.0-liter turbo engine that produces 250 HP and 250 lb-ft of torque. Accelerate from 0-60 mph in just 6.1 seconds and reaches a top speed of 155 mph. Excellent performance, doubled, say those who tested it, by a good chassis, which allows the optimal exploitation of engine-gearbox package.
2. Opel Astra OPC – The car has not debuted in the series version, but were shown us a concept, which will go into series production unchanged. Besides he looks great, new Astra OPC promises to be above all competitors in the power section. The concept was presented with a 2.0-liter turbo engine that develops 290 HP. This is exactly what I say, a bigger power than all hot hatches. I expect that the car to come with this level of power, and the Germans have already announced a performance front-axle differential, one that makes usable all the 290 HP.
3. Ford Focus ST – About this model is not clear when will hit the market. It was said some time ago that will come in 2012, but is still likely to debut next year. New Focus ST will drop the 2.5-liter turbo engine with 225 HP and will adopt a 2.0-liter turbo engine, with 4 cylinder, that will produces 250 HP, like Megane RS 250. It will be an interesting battle between the new Focus ST and Megane RS. To win, new Focus ST should have a good platform.
4. Volkswagen Golf GTI MK VI - A good car, always balanced. The 210 HP of the 2.0-liter turbo engine can not beat the competition. But it has the advantage that offer a unique gearbox, that nobody offer on a hot hatch, the excellent DSG gearbox. VW Golf GTI can accelerates from 0-60 mph in 6.9 seconds and reach a top speed of 149 mph.
5. Mazda3 Speed - I included it in this list, although it will probably sell less than the competition. In this conditions, the car does not look bad and offers more power. Maybe the price discouraged a little or maybe some mistakes at promotion level. Under the hood there is a 2.3-liter turbo engine, that develops 260 HP and 280 lb-ft of torque. The dynamic performance is identical with Megane RS 250 – 0-60 mph in 6.1 seconds and a top speed of 155 mph.